Turkish Pide Bread

For a few weeks now, my son has been asking me to make Turkish Pide Bread. He calls it Turkish Pizza. In many ways pide is similar to pizza, with a somewhat different taste. Honestly, I like it better than pizza. This recipe yields 6 quite large pide breads. It requires some time to make it, and I got a bit tired, but seeing my son so happy to have one of his favorite foods, it was well worth it! :)

Pide dough:

• 4 1/2 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup (250 ml) warm water
  • 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil

Filling:

• 1/2 lb (250 g) tomatoes
  • 2 medium onions
  • 1/2 long red sweet pepper or red bell pepper
  • 1/2 large green bell pepper
  • 3/4 lb (350 g) ground beef
  • 1 TBSP Vegeta spice (not in original recipe, but I use it)
  • salt, pepper, cumin to taste
  • 3 TBSP olive oil
  • 6 thick slices of Swiss cheese (or any cheese you like)

Preparation:

1. First prepare the dough. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over the warm water, cover and let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes. When bubbly, pour into flour and mix well. Add salt and olive oil and form a ball of dough. Let it raise for about 30 – 45 minutes.

2. While dough is resting, prepare filling. Put 3 tbsp of olive oil into a pan. Place tomatoes in boiling water for a minute, peel them and coarsely chop them. Slice onions into thin rings, chop red and green bell pepper, saute it in olive oil shortly. Add ground beef, add all the spices and tomatoes and saute only until beef gets just brown. Set aside.

3. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long oval shape. Fold the sides inward and then twist one end to the right and the other end to the left. Put them onto a greased large baking pan. Place a slice of cheese in each pide.

4. Divide filling into 6 equal amount and put on the top of each pide. Bake at 400 F (200 C) for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Tagged: , , , , ,

12 thoughts on “Turkish Pide Bread

1. reluctantlymeatfree March 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

This looks great! Damn vegetarian girlfriend. I would try it with veggie mince but, let’s face it, it would taste of nothing. Love the new ‘sister’ blog…

2. Baking with Sibella March 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hey, the GF needs to cut you some slack there! :D Thanks, I am so excited about the sister blog too! Take care!

3. Bam's Kitchen March 22, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Love you new blog Sibella. I love these little Turkish pies, like a whole meal in one. My boys would love this as an after school snack.

• Baking with Sibella March 23, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks so much Bobbi! :) Pide really is a whole meal. I made six of them and they were pretty large. I ate one and I was almost too full. My son ate two and then later ate a 1/2 that was left after everyone had their share.. They are super delicious!

4. Dimitris Baltzis March 30, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I love this and I eat this very often.The name is Peinirli in turkish and this is how we call it too!!!

• Baking with Sibella March 30, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Good to know! Everyone in my family loves them too!

5. April Henry April 25, 2012 at 6:18 pm

That looks delicous.

• Sibella April 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Thanks April! I actually made it tonight for dinner too since my son was trying to give me some hints… :)

6. Snješka June 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Sibi,eto me kod tebe na ručak :-)

• Sibella June 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

E moja Snjeska to bi bila prava stvar! <3 :)

7. mariateresa1983 September 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

Just wanted to let you know that I like your blog a lot! Great job!

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com September 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Thank you so much! :) I am really happy that you like my blog! Please stop by and leave a comment any time!
      Have a great week!