German Plum Cake

German plum cake is a dear guest at our house at least once a year (while the Stanley plums are in season). The recipe reminds me so of my high school years. I sat in my German class and looked through a German magazine trying to find an article to practice translating. I came across a beautiful photo and recipe of this cake, so I asked my teacher if I could translate the recipe instead of an article. She thought it was a great idea.

German Plum Cake

This recipe has been in my old, yellowed recipe book ever since. The cake is easily made and it’s huge. It can feed a large group of relatives or friends. It’s good warm or cold and it goes so well with a cup or morning coffee or tea. Enjoy my friends!

old recipe book

German Plum Cake

{Printable recipe}

Dough:

• 250 g (8.8 oz) low fat cream cheese (or German quark cheese)
  • 125 g (1/2 cup + 2 TBSP) sugar
  • 1 vanilla sugar (1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 10 TBSP milk
  • 10 TBSP oil
  • 1 small lemon (juice and zest)
  • 500 g (17.6 oz or about 4 cups) flour
  • 20 g (0.7 oz) baking powder

Filling:

• 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs)Stanley plums
  • 3 TBSP sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
  • 1 vanilla sugar (1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 80 g (2/3 cup) flour
  • 100 g (3.5 oz) sliced almonds

Also needed:

• 1 large rectangular baking pan (13 X 18 inches ) 33 X 46 cm.
  • Parchment paper

Preparation:

1. For the dough combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla in a mixing bowl. Start mixing at a low speed, slowly adding milk and oil. Add juice and lemon zest. Combine flour and baking powder and stir well. Gradually add to the rest and mix until well combined.
  2. Cover the dough with plastic and let it rest until needed
  3. Wash, dry and pit plums. Half them and make a small cut on each half (as you going to quarter them), but don’t cut all the way through.
  4. Dust your working surface with flour. Place the dough on the surface and roll it out into the size of the pan. Line your baking pan with parchment paper and transfer the dough onto the pan.
  5. Place the plums in thick rows on the dough. Sprinkle with 3 TBSP of sugar.
  6. Beat 2 large eggs with sugar and vanilla until pale yellow, add flour and mix until smooth.
  7. Pour over the plums and sprinkle with sliced almonds
  8. Bake at 200 C (400 F) for 30-35 minutes or until lightly brown on the top.
  9. Cool slightly and slice into squares.

ENJOY!

German plum cake preparation

German plum cake preparation

German plum cake preparation

German Plum Cake

German Plum Cake

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

25 thoughts on “German Plum Cake

1. Savoury Image October 10, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

I love plums so I will have to try this one! Looks so good!

2. Roberta M. Eisenberg October 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

Hi, Sibella,

Just so you know, I have never heard of Stanley plums, but from your description of them and the pictures, they are certainly what we (in NY at least) call Italian plums. My grandmother and sometimes my mother called them prunes, but they were probably just thinking in Italian and translating literally.

I’m coming to visit my friend again so I’ll see you on Monday.

Bobbi

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com October 10, 2013 at 12:33 pm Reply

Hi Bobbi,
      Glad to hear from you! :) Yes, you’re right these are Italian/prune plums. I also call them Bosnian plums. Here they are sold as Stanley plums… Looking forward to seeing you Monday!

3. Soul Walker October 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm Reply

Looking at those pictures makes me a little teary.

4. Fae's Twist & Tango October 10, 2013 at 5:17 pm Reply

Oh Sibella, these are just too marvelous to only read about and see the photos. I am drooling. :P

5. Korena in the Kitchen October 11, 2013 at 12:14 am Reply

I wish I could have a slice of this gorgeous-looking cake – those plums look amazing! I love reading about the stories behind your recipes too – what a great memory and discovery of this recipe!

6. glutenfreezen October 11, 2013 at 8:38 am Reply

This looks delicious! I love the contrast of the plums against the dough. I used to make something very similar to this a lot prior to finding out I was allergic to gluten and dairy. My grandma had a huge apricot tree, so once a year I would make it with apricots as well. So good! :)

7. fromthefamilytable October 11, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Love the red writing in your recipe book – but I can’t read it. Wonder why?

8. Angie's Food Adventures October 11, 2013 at 9:47 am Reply

I love this idea! Will try to make a gluten free version!!! Thanks again for another work of art! :)

9. Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com October 11, 2013 at 10:50 am Reply

Thanks Angie! :) Would love to know how the gluten free version turns out!

10. Bam's Kitchen October 11, 2013 at 9:01 pm Reply

Your German plum cake would go perfect with my cup of tea this morning. I would much rather translate a recipe than translate some boring news article. Love those oldie but goodie recipe books that are hand written and have lots of splatters from food. You know it has been used a lot! Have a super weekend. BAM

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com October 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm Reply

Hi Bobbi! I had it with my black tea with cream two mornings in a row (at work). It was so good! :) Hope your doing well! XO

11. Our Adventure in Croatia October 12, 2013 at 8:48 am Reply

aaaaahhh brings back memories, when I was au-pair in Germany they used to make this. I must make it again following your recipe Sibella!!

12. A Taste of Wintergreen October 12, 2013 at 11:13 am Reply

Oh my gosh – this is absolutely gorgeous! Your photographs are wonderful. I cannot wait to give this a try.

13. Kathleen Richardson October 12, 2013 at 9:39 pm Reply

What a beautiful cake, Sibella. Love that it includes cream cheese and lemon juice/zest in the dough.

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com October 13, 2013 at 2:35 pm Reply

Thank you Kathleen. Cream cheese makes the dough really soft and lemon gives it a very nice flavor. This is definitely my Top Fall Dessert Recipe! :) Have a great Sunday!

14. Yvonne @ bitter baker October 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm Reply

Mmm, this sounds delicious! I love when you put lemon in the dough, it always gives you that extra touch!

Your thoughts on this one:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s