Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Hello my friends! I hope everyone is doing well; I missed you all! :) I took an involuntary baking break while I was trying to complete some remodeling projects in the house before the winter gets here. I have not completely abandoned my artistic expression, I started two paintings and plan to finish them before the end of the year and I’ve discovered a new passion: poetry. I’ve always liked reading poetry, but have never tried to write anything. Well, a few weeks ago a “What if I tried” thought crossed my mind, so I started thinking and putting the words together and for now they sound very good to me. I am not sure if I am going to share it with the world yet, but I am sure of one thing: writing poetry brings me so much joy!

My hope is that these chocolate sandwich cookies will bring you joy of making and of course joy of tasting! They are a treasured recipe from my old-yellow-falling-apart recipe book that I started when I was about thirteen years young. These cookies are not too sweet. Cocoa gives them just a hint of gentle bitterness and the vanilla frosting just a right amount of sweetness.

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

[Printable recipe]

Cookies:

• 250 g (8.8 oz) flour
  • 65 g (2.2 oz )powdered sugar
  • 50 g (1.8 oz) cocoa
  • 13 g (2.5 tsp) baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 185 g (6.5 oz) unsalted butter (room temperature)

Frosting:

• 500 ml (2 cups) milk
  • 4 TBSP flour (or corn starch)
  • 150 g (5.3 oz) powdered sugar
  • 2 packs vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
  • 160 g (5.6 oz) unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1 egg yolk (optional)

Chocolate glaze:

• 75 g (2.6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate
  • 50 g (1.8 oz) unsalted butter

Preparation:

1. For the cookies, combine all dry ingredients and mix for a few minutes. Add egg and butter and mix on slow until resembles a crumbly mixture. Flour your working surface and knead the dough by hand until nice and smooth. Flatten it, cover with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
  2. While the cookie dough rests in the fridge prepare the filling.
  3. Mix the flour with a couple of spoons of milk until smooth. Let the milk boil at a low temperature and pour the flour mixture into boiling milk. Whisk constantly until it starts thickening, then remove from heat and let it cool completely.
  4. In a mixing bowl combine butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix all together. You may add an egg yolk for a nice color, but it’s not essential. Now add this mixture to the flour base and whip it at high speed until well combined and fluffy.
  5. Now line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface roll out the cookie dough to about 1/2 cm (or 3/16 inch) thick and cut out cookies with a round cookie cutter (about 3-3.5 cm or 1 ¼ inch in diameter)
  6. Bake at 180 C or 350 F for about 12-14 minutes.
  7. Cool down completely. Glue two cookies together with the frosting.
  8. Melt chocolate and butter, let cool down for a few minutes and pour a teaspoon of the glaze on the top of each cookie.

?????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????

Flour_Milk frosting

Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1. Karen November 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm Reply

Oh boy…do these look delicious. I know I wouldn’t be able to only eat one.

2. Korena in the Kitchen November 26, 2013 at 5:48 pm Reply

Yay, I missed you Sibella! These look amazing, like fancy Oreos, the way I always want them to taste.

3. Angie's Food Adventures November 26, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reply

Mmmmmmmm! I missed you!!!! :)

4. Carine November 26, 2013 at 8:22 pm Reply

They look really good! Just what is needed for colder nights :-)

5. Fae's Twist & Tango November 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm Reply

Ooo.. Very delectable!

6. The vegan 8 November 27, 2013 at 3:10 am Reply

Oh those look sooo good. They are like big, fat soft Oreos! I have always loved cookie sandwiches and these look wonderful… Especially with chocolate drizzled on top !

7. allthatsjas November 27, 2013 at 9:18 am Reply

Just in time for the holidays! They look delish!
    Btw, I think you SHOULD share your poetry with the world :)

8. glutenfreezen November 29, 2013 at 9:12 am Reply

Oh, they look so delicious! Baking, painting, poetry…such talent!! :)

9. fromthefamilytable December 3, 2013 at 6:44 pm Reply

Just don’t give up your baking! The cookies look delicious. I’ve been writing some poetry lately, too. I’m not certain how good it is, but the most important thing is to give it a try.

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com December 3, 2013 at 9:53 pm Reply

Darryl, thank you! I will never give up baking. :) I am so glad to hear that you’ve been writing poetry as well! Maybe we can exchange some through e-mail?

10. Michael's Woodcraft December 8, 2013 at 5:25 pm Reply

awh, those look really delicious, I love chocolate! I printed your recipe and will give these a try. I love to bake, cook, grill….

Since I printed your recipe let me share a the Best ever peanut butter cookie recipe with you, check it out. http://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/best-ever-peanut-butter-cookies/

Michael :-)

• Sibella at bakingwithsibella.com December 9, 2013 at 2:19 pm Reply

Hello Michael, thanks for stopping by! I am sure you will like these a lot. I will make sure to stop by your place and see what’s going on! :)

11. Kathleen Richardson December 11, 2013 at 7:38 pm Reply

Welcome back, Sibella. Looking forward to hearing your poetry.

12. Marinella prodanovic January 13, 2014 at 11:57 pm Reply

Sibella, Sibella baking in the Kitchen
    These cookies are delicious
    My fingers I’m a lickin

Your thoughts on this one:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s