One beautiful, sunny fall weekend in September, we made a trip to the Amish country in Northern Indiana. Driving through the rolling fields of corn, beans and soy, with patches of autumn colored trees was just amazing and so peaceful. We spent the afternoon at the local Apple Festival and enjoyed the sights of the homemade baked goods, Amish made items, apples, mums and Amish children in their simple, pretty attires.
My daughter and I ate some wonderful apple dumplings with vanilla ice cream and since that weekend I wanted to make them myself. Today was a perfect day, since I bought some small Jonathon apples at the Farmer’s Market.
For this recipe, in addition to Amish apple dumplings I was also inspired by stuffed baked apples (a desert from Bosnia). The end result was super delicious! Take a look!
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 9 tbsp (130 g) cold butter
- 1/3 cup (75 g) sugar
- pinch of salt
- grated peel of 1/2 lemon (+ juice)
- 1 egg
- 6-8 small apples
- 1/4 (50 g) raisins
- 1/2 (50 g) chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup (65 g) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum ( or 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp of milk