The recipe for this fine cake I have had since 1990. It is really hard to believe that 21 years have passed by. So many things have happened in my life and made it totally different from what I would ever expect. To make a long story short – a college student from Bosnia ended up in Germany because of the war, got married, had children, immigrated to the United States to start a better life for her family, and is now sharing with you a recipe for this delicious Chocolate Almond Cake. 🙂
- 2 1/5 stick (250 g) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 pack vanilla sugar)
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (250 g) flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 9 oz (250 g) semi-sweet chocolate (shredded)
- 1 1/2 cups (150 g) blanched, ground almonds
- 3 tbsp apricot jam (strained)
- 5 oz (150 g) semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tsp cooking oil
1. In a stand mixer, mix butter for about 30 seconds, add sugar little by little and vanilla, mix until smooth.
2. Add an egg one by one, mixing 30 sec. after every addition.
3. Combine flour and baking powder, mix well. Fold into egg-butter mixture by hand. Add shredded chocolate and almonds and mix well.
4. Line a 9 in (24 cm) round cake pan with parchment paper. Evenly spread the batter into the pan. Bake at 375 F (180 C) for about an hour or until soft center of the cake disappears.
For the frosting, heat apricot jam for about 45 sec. and strain it through a fine mesh, to become smooth and without any apricot pieces. Brush it over warm cake.
Let the cake cool down. Melt the chocolate in a hot water bath, add cooking oil and mix it until smooth and glossy. Pour over the cake. Let it stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Reserve some chocolate for the decoration.
For the leaf decoration, get some rose leaves (plastic leaves are fine too). Brush them with chocolate once, let them rest for a few minutes and then brush them a second time. Place them in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Gently peel of each rose leaf and you should have a beautiful chocolate leaf decorations.
10 thoughts on “Chocolate Almond Cake”
The leaves are a beautiful touch!
Thanks so much! I enjoyed making them! 🙂
Baš ti je lijepi ovaj kolač…ma znbaš ja bih ti pojela sve ove listiće 😀 Ljubim ❤
Hvala Sneska moja! E da si blize kako bi fino sjele i slistile ga uz kaficu! 🙂 Kisses and Hugs!
The cake looks delicious, and the leaves are a very artistic touch….
I also love the plate it is served on 🙂
Thank you Munira! For the leaves I was inspired by all the fall leaves that we have around here at this time of the year. The cake plate is definitely my favorite of all that I have! 🙂
Wow, I love the added touch of the leaves. what next gold leafing??? you go girl! How is your new job? Take Care
Thanks Bobbi! 🙂 Gold leafing it is! ;D
New job is fine, thank you! Still getting used to it… I am not sure if this is really it, but time will show.
Aww, thanks so much! 🙂