Every time I want to bake something with yeast I remember my mama. She was the queen of yeast doughs. She didn’t use any recipes either. She would throw together a little bit of this, a little bit of that and it would turn into one of those things that people write a two page recipe for. Mama enjoyed making everything fresh and from scratch, of course! 🙂 She would get up early in the morning, I mean really early! She would start a dough, and by the time my sister and I were getting ready for school the whole house would be enveloped in the fragrant aroma of mama’s baked goods. After all that early morning work she still had plenty of energy to dress up, do her hair, put some make up on and go meet some 25 other people’s children and teach them with a smile.
This morning I tried to throw together few things my self, hoping it would turn into one of mama-like heavenly breakfast breads. I would say it turned out ok. I should have let it rise longer, but impatient me didn’t… Anyway, the house smelled wonderfuly and the bread tasted great, but it just wasn’t as mama’s…
Braided Breakfast Bread Printable recipe
- 3 ½ cups (450 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (65 g) dry milk powder
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- 1 ½ tsp dry yeast
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 1 1/4 cup (300 ml) warm water
- ½ stick (50 g) butter (soft)
- 1 egg
- 3.5 oz (100 g) raisins
- 3.5 oz (100 g) dried apricots (chopped)
- 1.8 oz (50 g) dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- Soak all dried fruit in warm water for about 30 minutes.
- Combine flour, dry milk powder, sugar, yeast, and mix well. Gradually start adding water. Add lemon zest. When almost combined, add egg and butter. Mix for few more minutes, then add in dried fruit.
- Cover and let it rest for about two hours or until doubled in volume.
- Now place the dough on a flour-dusted surface and knead it for few minutes. Divide it into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long 12-14 inch (30-35 cm) log. Pinch all four pieces together and form a braid.
- Place the braid onto a baking pan, brush with the egg wash, cover and let it rise for another 45 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C) and bake for about 30-45 minutes or until nice, golden-brown color.