Last weekend we celebrated our daughter’s 16th Birthday! It was the first sunny and really warm weekend this year, so in addition to going out for lunch and having a piece of birthday cake at home, we also spent some time in the park with our pups, enjoying the warmth and noticing the first signs of spring.
A 16th birthday cake had to be (almost) as special and as pretty as our daughter! She wanted to have something with strawberries and chocolate, and this is what mom came up with: A strawberry jelly roll, cut into slices and used to cover the bottom and sides of a cake form; filled with cream cheese, whipped cream and blended fresh strawberries filling.
Jelly Roll Cake with Strawberries and Chocolate
For the jelly roll:
- 6 large eggs
- 1 egg white
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 135 g (1 cup) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 120 g (1/2 cup) seedless strawberry jam
For the filling:
- 450 strawberries (1 lbs)
- 750 ml (3 cups) heavy cream
- 100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- 225 g (8 oz)cream cheese
- 65 g (1/2 cup) powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g (3.5 oz)semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 envelopes plain gelatin
- 6 TBSP water
√ 10 inch ( 25 cm) round spring cake pan
√ 18 x 13 (46 X 33 cm) inch jelly roll pan
√ parchment paper
√ a small sauce pan
√ Plastic wrap
Make jelly roll:
Prepare a large baking sheet and cover it with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 395 F or 200 C.
Add 6 eggs and an egg white into the mixer bowl. Mix at high speed until eggs start foaming. Slowly add sugar and vanilla and mix for another 2-3 minutes.
Combine cake flour and baking powder, mix well and slowly start adding to the eggs and sugar, mixing slowly at the lowest setting.
Pour the batter into the baking sheet and bake until edges start getting lightly brown (about 15 minutes). Take a large kitchen towel, place it under the whole cake and roll it up lengthwise (together with the parchment paper)to form a roll. Keep it inside of the kitchen towel until completely cooled down.
Now lightly heat strawberry jam, unroll the cake and remove the parchment paper. Spread the jam in an even, thin layer all over the cake. Roll the cake back into a firm roll, wrap again in kitchen towel and leave it in the fridge until needed again.
- Wash and quarter strawberries, place them in a blender and puree them.
- Melt the chocolate and spread in a very thin layer over a bottom of a flat surface (such as a cookie sheet or a tray that can fit into freezer)
- Whip the heavy cream, add sugar. Reserve about 1/4 of it for decoration.
- Mix the cream cheese, powder sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- In a sauce pan mix two envelopes of plain gelatin with 6 TBSP of water until smooth and leave it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate from the freezer. Holding a metal spatula or a knife under 45 degree angle, start pushing the chocolate to form shavings, later to be used for the filling and decoration. Place all the shavings in the fridge.
At this point take the jelly roll out of the fridge and slice it into 1/2 inch thick slices. Line your cake spring pan with plastic wrap. Lay the jelly roll slices all around the wall and on the bottom of the pan. Now it’s time to finish the filling:
- Place the sauce pan with gelatin on the stove and on a low heat and melt the gelatin. Do not let it boil!
- Pour the gelatin into cream cheese and stir in thoroughly, add whipped cream and stir until well combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into a second bowl, add chocolate shavings and spread it all on the cake. This filling will be firm.
- Add strawberry puree into the remaining cream cheese-whipped cream mixture and pour it over the first filling. The second filling will be kind of liquidy, but don’t worry it will solidify because of the gelatin. Now cover the cake with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge at least for 4 hours or best over night.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, remove it from the spring cake pan and place it on a serving plate. Pull all the plastic wrap from underneath the cake, decorate with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
… a great ending to a great day!