This is a nice summery dessert which I created using a batter recipe for a marble cake, minus the cocoa and instead of in a bunt cake form I baked it in large baking pan with addition of some fresh fruit on the top. I call it Summer Slices for every piece has a nice amount of summer fruit and berries and it looks so colorful. This cake is perfect for a family gathering or a party, it’s simple to make and super delicious!
- 300 g butter (10.5 oz or 65 sticks)- softened
- 275 g (9.7 oz or 2 ¼ cups + 2 tbsp) sugar
- 1 pack vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- A pinch of salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 375 g (13.2 oz or about 3 cups)all-purpose flour
- 2 – 3 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- Various fruit (peaches, plums, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, etc.)
- Slivered almonds (toasted)
- Powdered sugar
- Baking pan 32 x 44 x 2.5 cm (12 X 17 X 1 inch)
- Parchment paper (size of the pan)
- Beat softened butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until nice and foamy 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add eggs one by one mixing ½ minute after each addition.
- Mix in lemon zest.
- Combine flour and baking powder and stir well, then start adding to the butter mixture mixing at a medium speed.
- At the end add milk and stir until all well combined.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper and spread the batter evenly on the pan.
- Lightly toast slivered almonds and set aside.
- If you use peaches you will need about 4 large. Boil some water and immerse peaches into boiling water for about a minute. Peel them and slice into thin slices (about 1.5 cm or 1/2 inch).
- Spread them on the batter, sprinkle with berries and toasted almonds
- Bake at 195 C or 385 F until lightly brown on the top.
- Let it cool down and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cut into slices and serve.