These fancy rolls are not only beautiful, but they taste like a little piece of Heaven. They are probably one of the best I’ve ever had and I will be making them over and over again. Even after a few days they keep soft, which is not always the case with homemade rolls. As of their taste, they remind me somewhat of brioche. I also had them split and toasted like a bagel and they were great. I imagine they will look beautiful on any Holiday table and will be gone in a matter of minutes! Have a wonderful weekend friends! 🙂
Fancy Flower Rolls
- 1 cup (236 ml) warm milk
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) warm water
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 3 ½ TBSP (50 g) butter-melted
- 1/3 cup (67 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- All-purpose flour (approx 4 and 1/2 cups or 580-600 g)
- 2 eggs, whites and yolks separated
- egg yolks + 1 tsp milk
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, etc.
- First combine warm milk, water and sugar. Mix well and sprinkle dry yeast over it.
- Divide eggs
- Place egg yolks in a small bowl and cover with plastic.
- In a medium bowl lightly whisk egg whites, then add oil and melted butter.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a mixer bowl with dough hooks.
- When the yeast mixture becomes bubbly slowly pour into flour mixture and start mixing slowly. Just when combined, add egg mixture and mix until you get a compact, shiny dough ball.
- Brush with oil, cover with plastic and let it rest until double in volume.
- This dough will be really easy to work with, almost like the play dough.
- Flour your working surface, place the dough on it, divide in half and then each half into 12 equal parts.
- Lightly oil your hands, press and roll each piece into a 10 inch (25 cm) long stick, with about ½ inch (1.5 cm) diameter.
- Take two sticks together and swirl them around as to a get a braid.
- Connect the ends to form a bagel-like roll and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 385 F or 195 C
- Whisk egg yolks with 1 tsp of milk and brush the rolls
- You may sprinkle them with sesame seeds, poppy seeds or any seeds of your choice.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.