In addition to mushroom-cream-white wine sauce, the one I made today with Italian sausage, tomatoes and herbs is my favorite sauce to serve with gnocchi. This sauce is so rich and flavorful. I like to use fresh tomatoes, but canned ones can be used as well. Usually I like to prepare homemade gnocchi, but don’t always have enough time, so this time I used store bought ones. This is how I make the sauce:
- 2 packs of gnocchi (each 500 g or 1 lb)
- 2-3 Italian fresh sausages (or any other fresh kind)
- 500 g or 1 lb tomatoes (blanched, peeled and chopped)
- 1/4 of a large green pepper (finely sliced)
- 1/4 of a large red pepper (finely sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (smashed and finely chopped)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Cook gnocchi in lightly salted water until they start coming to the surface. Strain, rinse and set aside.
2. Cut fresh sausage into 1/2 inch pieces and fry in a pan with a little olive oil until done and nicely browned. Remove the sausage pieces from the pan and set aside.
3. In the same frying pan saute garlic and peppers for few minutes on a low temperature. Add chopped tomatoes and 1/4 cup water and simmer for about 10 minutes or until sauce starts thickening. Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
4. Now add sausage to the sauce, chopped herbs and gnocchi. Mix until combined and serve.
Yum, Yum, Yum!🙂