Yesterday was definitely a bread baking day! From the time I woke up I couldn’t stop thinking about making bread. It may seem strange, but I get all consumed thinking about it, planning in my head and just can’t wait to get home and start working on it. I remembered the time when I lived in Germany, I had a part-time job in a bakery. I loved that job, I loved the smell of the fresh baked goods and just the whole busy atmosphere of the place. One of my favorite breads from the bakery was Yogurt Bread. It had a crusty outside and was chewy and moist inside. Pure enjoyment! This was my attempt to recreate this wonderful bread and I am more than pleased with the results! In fact, I am so pleased that I am making a loaf again today! 😀
Crusty Bread with Yogurt and Honey Printable recipe
- 1.2 oz (35 g) fresh yeast
- 5 oz (150 ml) cold water
- 8 oz (225 g) plain yogurt
- 6 oz (175 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 26.4 oz (750 g) flour (used all-purpose King Arthur)
- flour for kneading
- olive oil for brushing
- Dissolve the yeast in the cold water. In another dish combine yogurt and water, add honey and salt.
- Place the flour in a mixer bowl with the hook attachments. Start mixing slowly adding the yeast mixture. After that slowly add the yogurt mixture.
- Let it mix on a slow-medium setting for about 10 minutes. The dough will be firm.
- Cover and let rise on a room temperature for about 3-4 hours. Collapse it, cover again and place in the fridge for another 20 hours. The dough needs to rest for about 24 hours.
- When ready to shape the bread, remove from the fridge and leave at room temperature for couple of hours. Dust your working surface with flour, knead the dough thoroughly and shape into an oval. Brush all over with olive oil and liberally dust with flour, cover and let it rise until double in size. Score it in the middle.
- Heat the oven to 425 F (218 C), place the baking stone/dish in the oven for at least 30 minutes. Place a cup of water on the bottom of the oven. Put the bread onto the stone and bake for about 45-60 minutes.
- Cool completely, slice and enjoy!