I woke up today to a rainy morning and clouds, but a few hours later all that turned to a beautiful, sunny day. Seeing the sun and first spring flowers blooming out there I was so inspired to bake something light and springy. This Strawberry Yogurt Cake came right to my mind. These kind of yogurt and cream based cakes are often made in Germany. If any cake can be called light, then this is it (despite the cream🙂 ). There is no butter and I excluded egg yolks! There is plenty of yogurt which makes it very refreshing and then strawberries to make the whole experience complete. It’s almost as if a smoothie was transformed into a cake. I LOVE IT, I hope you will too!
Strawberry Yogurt Cake Printable recipe
For the cake:
- 3 egg whites (large eggs)
- A smidgen of salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
Spring form cake pan 9 in (23 cm) in diameter; Parchment paper round (same diameter as the pan)
For the filling:
- 1 ¼ cup (300 ml) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (50 g)sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 cups (500 ml) plain yogurt (2%)
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh strawberries + 4-5 for decoration
- 2 envelopes of plain gelatin
- 4 tbsp water
- Add smidgen of salt into egg whites and beat them until fluffy, add sugar and beat few minutes more. Combine flour and baking powder, fold into egg white mixture by hand.
- Preheat oven to 365 F (185 C). Line the spring form with parchment paper and pour the cake batter in. Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Remove the parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and return the cake to the form.
- For the filling whip the cream until dense, add sugar and whip for one more minute. Cover and refrigerate.
- In another bowl add yogurt, lemon zest and sugar and mix by hand until smooth. Set aside.
- Put 4 tbsp cold water in a small cooking pot, empty contents of 2 gelatin envelops into it, mix it so there is no crumbs. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Wash strawberries, remove stems, put into blender and blend until liquid. Add strawberries into yogurt mixture.
- Place the cooking pot with gelatin on the stove and lightly heat it, only until dissolved, do not let it boil! Add to it about ½ cup yogurt mixture and mix well. Now pour the gelatin mixture into remaining yogurt mixture, add whipped cream and again mix by hand until it all blends and looks like a strawberry smoothie.
- Pour the filling into the spring form and on the top of the cake. Filling will be liquid and that is ok.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours minimum or best over night. After that filling will become dense (like jello).
- Remove spring form ring, decorate the cake with whipped cream and strawberries.